02 Jul Celebrate the ADA!
28th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act
July 26, 2018 marks the 28th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) signed by President George H.W. Bush on July 26, 1990.
The ADA and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA) give civil rights protections to individuals with disabilities similar to those provided to individuals on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, and religion. The ADA and ADAAA also assure equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities for access to businesses, employment, transportation, state and local government programs and services, and telecommunications.
“Nearly 37 million people in our country have a disability and nearly 25% of today’s 20 year olds will experience disability in their lifetime. Since 1991, the 10 regional ADA Centers in the ADA National Network have provided free, confidential and accurate information, resources and training on the ADA to businesses, employers, state and local governments, people with disabilities and their families, advocates, and veterans across the United States,” said Barry Whaley, Director of the Southeast ADA Center.
Through the outreach, training and technical assistance the ADA National Network has done to promote voluntary compliance with the ADA, people with disabilities have better access to businesses, buildings, employment, state and local government programs and services, and increasing opportunities for equal and full participation in civic and community life. You can call your questions about the ADA answered by the ADA National Network by calling toll-free 1-800-949-4232 or visit the website at adata.org — Callers using the toll-free 800 number are connected to the regional ADA Center serving their state.
In Tennessee, we’re celebrating the ADA with events across the state. JOIN US!
- August 3rd, 6:00 -9:00 pm
- Celebrate the ADA at the Deborah Cunningham Access Awards
Crosstown Concourse, 1350 Concourse Avenue, Memphis, TN 38104
- July 20th, 11:30 am – 1 pm
- JCIL Celebrates the 28th Anniversary of the ADA: Lunch and fellowship
- Jackson Center for Independent Living, 1981 Hollywood Drive, Jackson, TN
- July 14th, 2:00 – 4:00 pm
- ADA Celebration at T.A.R.P.: Ice Cream Social & Silent Auction
- TARP Center for Independent Living, 1027 Mineral Wells Ave, Paris, Tennessee 38242
- July 26th, 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- Celebrate the ADA with Empower TN
- The Frist Art Museum, 919 Broadway, Nashville, TN 37203
- July 26th, 11:00 am to 1:00 pm
- Chattanooga’s Mayor’s Council on Disability hosts ADA Celebration and Carnival
- Miller Plaza Pavilion, 850 Market Street, Chattanooga, TN 37402
- Contact disABILITY Resource Center at (865) 637-3666 for information about Knoxville area events.